Monday, April 30, 2012

What's your lullaby?

So, some may know this and others may not, but I love to sing. I'm no Adele, but I wouldn't consider myself as bad as Cameron Diaz in "My Best Friends Wedding" either.  Anyways, singing and music have always been a part of our family. Aaron loves music and is actually really good at writing songs and making beats/ samples on the computer. (Poor guy never gets the time to do it, though!)  My mom played drums and piano, and her grandmother could play anything by ear on the piano. (Man, I wish I could have known her!) My sister played piano and flute when she was younger. I used to love to sit next to my Meme (my dad's mom) at church because she could always harmonize so pretty with the old hymns. I still have sweet memories of lullabies that my Meme sang my sister and I when we stayed the night with them.  My dad can sound like any old school country artist out there (Randy Travis, Merle Haggard, etc).  I know I could find some awesome vinyl collections in my parent's attic. If my memory serves me correctly, my sister and I would spend hours rehearsing and collaborating our own rendition of Linda Rondstat's "Livin' in The USA" to perform to our parents. We would use the vacuum as the stand up microphone and we both fought over who got the kick ass piano solo.  (see video below)


So, it's no surprise that our girls are used to music. We always have something playing at home, whether it's Pandora, YouTube, iTunes, etc.  Some mornings, Ava doesn't even request cartoons, she requests CMT. (girl after my own heart!).

I have always loved singing to my girls at night. I sang lots of random songs to Ava when she was a baby, but the one she always requested as she got older was "Godspeed" by Dixie Chicks, (although she calls it "Dragon Tales"). I absolutely love this song and I love its sweet, simple lyrics.  Harper has grown to love it as well, and she even knows a few of the opening lines of the song.

So, I want to know...do you have a certain lullaby that you sing consistently at home? I would love to hear it!  Below is the version from The Dixie Chicks and then the video after is Ava's own version. Enjoy! :)





6 comments:

  1. No Specific lullaby, but Emmy is always requesting Johnny Cash. Her favorite song is "it ain't me babe". Surprisingly, she knows most of the words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. soooo sweet...that made me tear up a bit :) i am horrible about singing with my kids--hoping I make up for it in books :/ maybe ava can sing to them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So precious! I used to love singing to Jack, but then he got older (about 2) and told me not to sing anymore- guess I'm not that good! :) Or maybe he just wants to hear his voice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, that was so sweet. Ava's a great singer - just like her mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww this is so awesome! she is adorable.
    this is my go to lullaby for stella
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egX9N8yOgaU

    and this is one I sang all the time to her when she was a baby baby
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhxeOaFe7hc

    ReplyDelete